Discussion: Chemotherapy Drug
Discussion: Chemotherapy Drug
7. A chemotherapy drug affects the enzyme DNA polymerase. In which part of the cell cycle does it inhibit cell division?
B) S phase
8. A researcher planted seeds from four types of tomatoes (Roma, Cherry, Big Boy and Early Girl) in a greenhouse to determine which type of tomato produce the largest number of tomatoes per plant. The plants were grown for 70 days under the same temperature and light conditions. The average results for 20 plants of each type are shown below. Choose the data set that demonstrates that Cherry tomatoes produce the largest number of tomatoes per plant.
A) Roma: 20 tomatoes, Cherry: 18 tomatoes, Big Boy: 30 tomatoes, Early Girl: 10 tomatoes
B) Roma: 1.8 lbs, Cherry: 2.8 lbs, Big Boy: 2.7 lbs, Early Girl: 1.0 lbs
C) Roma: 3 cm, Cherry: 1 cm, Big Boy: 10 cm, Early Girl: 7 cm
D) Roma: 2 cm, Cherry: 10 cm, Big Boy: 7 cm, Early Girl: 6 cm
E) Roma: 23 tomatoes, Cherry: 28 tomatoes, Big Boy: 10 tomatoes, Early Girl: 27 tomatoes
9. The majority of climate scientists believe that the current change in climate is caused predominantly by ________.
A) an increase of the greenhouse effect
B) a decreased reliance on fossil fuels for energy
C) a thinning of the ozone layer
D) a melting of the polar ice caps
E) an increase in solar radiation
Page 5 of 11
10. Based on the following phylogenetic tree, which of the following conclusions are *NOT* correct? Each letter represents a hypothetical species.
A) A and E share a common ancestor
B) B is one of A’s ancestors
C) E and D are more closely related to each other than to C
D) C is more closely related to E than to B
E) A and B are closely related
Page 6 of 11
11. You are taking a cruise from California to Hawaii. About halfway there the ship begins to sink. You are able to board a lifeboat, but now you are floating in the ocean waiting to be rescued. After several days you are so thirsty that you bend over the side of the boat and drink lots of salty seawater. What happens to your body?
A) You throw up because sea salt is toxic to humans.
B) You get thirstier because of osmosis.
C) Salt diffuses into your cells, water follows, your cells start to expand and you feel bloated.
D) Since sea water consist of 96.5% fresh water (and only 3.5% salt) you will feel much better.
E) You get dehydrated because water is unable to cross the semi-permeable membranes of your cells.
12. You are spraying your garden with a pesticide and you accidentally swallow a small amount. You read on the package that this pesticide inhibits ATP synthase. Should you be worried?
A) ATP synthase is part of the light dependent reaction in photosynthesis; this pesticide will therefore not affect humans. So don’t worry!
B) ATP synthase is an enzyme involved in the citric acid cycle so all animals, humans included, will be affected. Call the doctor.
C) ATP synthase found in the pesticide is a very toxic compound. Call the doctor.
D) ATP synthase is involved in both photosynthesis and cellular respiration. Call the doctor.
E) ATP synthase inhibitors will not affect humans, but there might be other toxic ingredients in the pesticide, so it is best to call the doctor to be on the safe side.
13. In the following chemical reaction, what is carbon dioxide (CO2)?
12 H20 + 6 CO2 -> 1 glucose molecule + 6 O2
D) activation factor
E) independent variable