Assignment: Gen Education
Assignment: Gen Education
argumentative topic. The Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership
This week students will:
- Interpret academic resources in support of a contemporary research topic.
- Examine philosophical theories of education and apply them to multicultural differences.
- Explain how education influences the development of ethical and moral reasoning.
- Outline the differences between various types of sources used for research.
In Week Two, you were able to narrow down your Final Argumentative Essay topic on a specific global societal issue from the list provided. You also were able to discuss what ethical and moral reasoning means to you and gave a good example of how you were faced with an ethical dilemma. Being able to problem-solve in a methodical manner takes good critical thinking skills. Furthermore, you provided an evaluation of your skills using the Ashford University Library. It’s very important to take the time to view several of the tutorials, so that you can narrow down your search for scholarly sources more efficiently.
During Week Three, you will continue utilizing your research skills by searching for scholarly sources on the global societal issue you have chosen for your Final Argumentative Essay. It’s a good idea to start your search in the Ashford University Library, and ask the librarian for guidance if needed. This week you will also have the opportunity to discuss the differences between the various types of sources you may come across in your search. It’s in your best interest to understand the difference between popular sources and scholarly sources. You will also demonstrate, through discussion, your understanding of specific philosophical theories of education from the required reading and reflect on how your general education courses have promoted ethical and moral reasoning, global citizenship, and cultural sensitivity. Finally, you will complete an annotated bibliography using at least five scholarly sources, which will also include an introductory paragraph with your thesis statement.
Prepare: Read the article by Hunter McEwan (2011) from the Ashford University Library.
Reflect: As you take notes while reading this article, think about the importance of understanding the philosophy behind taking general education courses and how your courses have taught you to think more critically, build character, and become more open-minded to cultural differences, thereby paving the way for you to be successful in the career field you have chosen
Write: For this discussion you will address the following prompts:
- Describe at least three ways a person can teach by example according to the article and provide a personal example in which you have demonstrated this concept.
- Explain how “teaching by example” influences the development of ethical and moral reasoning as well as cultural sensitivity and awareness.
- “Rousseau categorically denies the educational power of example” (p. 513). Explain your agreement or disagreement with Rousseau’s philosophy of education as it applies to your experience in gaining knowledge
Your initial post should be at least 250 words in length, which should include a thorough response to each prompt. You are required to provide in-text citations of applicable required reading materials and/or any other outside sources you use to support your claims. Provide full reference information of all sources cited at the end of your response. Please use correct APA format when writing and .